Thursday, July 26, 2012

Crisis in Willpower

So after doing something to my calf/shin area (I self diagnosed it as a Posterior Shin Splints) I gave it plenty of ice and a few days rest.  I ended up doing my short route today (2.09 mi) since the start of that and the 2.55 mi route are exactly the same and if I felt alright I wanted to do a bit longer of a run.  Well my calf twinged a little bit when I started moving it for about the first quarter mile then by then it was loosened up and started to feel all right.  I could still definitely tell that something was still 'there' but it didn't hurt.  I ended up finishing my run and by the time I got back to the house the pain was there by not as bad as it was on Monday.  So I iced it and by the time I was done icing it it felt better.

However the problem is thus:  When I am running it is extremely difficult to motivate myself to run.  The runner in me wants to run but he doesn't want to get hurt further.  The fatty in me doesn't want to run and doesn't want to get hurt either so the internal struggle leans very favorably towards not running.  Even when I was out there and my leg was feeling alright it was really hard to keep going.  The only reason I made the short route work was because it was a simple out and back route and I had already gotten to the out part.  I am sure if it was any sort of loop that came near the neighborhood I would have stopped.  It also doesn't help that I haven't really been back in the running game that long so I am not too sure body wise what feels okay and what is something I should really take note of.

So blogosphere here is my query to you: What do I do about shin splints?  Is it okay to be running out on this?  If you have an answer for me, or know someone who does, please point them in my direction.  And as always donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment